Fast & Fun “Research Through Design” Studio
Summer Quarter Session "A" (June 19 - July 19)
Have you ever wished it was easier - or fun - to find relevant material? Interested in working on the ideation & prototyping portion of a rapid design sprint?
Join us during Summer Session "A" for a fast and fun exploration of a design solution for college educators. We’ll look at existing research findings, articulate research gaps for future inquiry, and ideate a collection of possible solutions.
Our approach will be based on a combination of the principles of "research through design" and the more common UCD process. We will be reading, brainstorming, designing and reflecting. Students will be asked to keep some kind of weekly reflective journal. Creativity, critical thinking, and reflective engagement will be key components of our work in this DRG.
Time commitment per week:
2 hour design studio session
4 hours individual work/reading
To indicate interest, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, include 2-3 sentences describing your interest in this DRG & your HCDE class standing and/or UX experience. Possible weekly meeting times include: Thursdays between 10a-2pm, Wednesday mornings, or Wednesday afternoons. In your email, please also indicate all of the meeting times that would work for you.
Sketching notebooks will be provided!
WARNING: this will be fun
Jennifer Turns' Directed Research Group archive:
- Process blogging as professional/reflective practice: Challenges and opportunities
- Reflective Practice in HCDE and Engineering Education
- Technology Use during Solo and Nomadic Travel
- Slow technology and reflection: A reading group
- Life-logging, Quantified-self, and Reflection
- Investigating the socio systems side of HCDE
- So what? Exploring the ideas of "implications for design" and "translation of research into practice"
- What does it mean to keep the user in mind when designing?
- Understanding User Experience through Open-ended Survey Data
- Design Studies Research Group
- Data Analysis
- Laboratory for User-Centered Engineering Education (LUCEE)
- Lifelong Learning Reading Seminar
- Coding Survey Data