Design Awareness App: Research and Testing
Note: This DRG is full for winter and no longer accepting applications.
- Grace Barar, Senior, HCDE
- Rylie Sweem, Senior, HCDE
- Jordan Yoon-Buck, Senior, HCDE
- Shiva Rithwick Anem, Post-bac Research Assistant, HCDE
- Khadijah Jordan, Post-bac Research Assistant, HCDE
- Nicole Washington, Post-bac Research Assistant, HCDE
- Advised by Cindy Atman, Professor, HCDE
- Seeking up to 8 to 10 interested students
- Open to BS and MS HCDE students
Expectations: This group will meet for 2 hours each week during the quarter. It is expected that each student will also spend between 3 to 4 hours of time outside of the class meeting.
Logistics: This is a 2-credit research group offered to HCDE students in the BS or MS program. [Note: Masters students could enroll for 1 or 2 credits.] Enrollment is limited to twelve students. Meetings will be held on Tuesdays in the afternoon. A final meeting time will be decided once students have been enrolled.
Meeting Time: This DRG will meet once a week most likely on Tuesdays from 4 - 6 pm PST. There is a small possibility that the meeting time will be changed to Mondays from 5-7 pm PST.
Design awareness can be seen as a state of being in which a designer is attentive to and reflective about their current design behavior. It embodies the practice of being cognizant of the steps one is taking in a design process to enable the designer to make more informed decisions about next steps. Design awareness can help you overcome common design roadblocks like not knowing where to start, or when you have done enough research, what to do next, or even how to know when you are done.
We have developed an app to help people track and reflect on their own design process, with the goal that they become aware of their design process and ultimately become better designers. We are looking for students who are interested in learning more about their own design processes in addition to helping us test our app. After learning about Design Awareness, students will have the opportunity to work with the designers and developers to suggest improvements to the Design Awareness App and begin to gain insight into their own process.
Specifically, in the quarter, students will:
- Participate in formal user testing
- Complete several passes of design activities with various ways to capture design process
- Engage in individual and group design activities
- Visually represent design processes
- Complete weekly reflections on design and recording experiences
- Understand and personalize their own ideal design process