A directory of outgoing HCDE PhD students and postdoctoral researchers who are on the job market.
Jay L. Cunningham
- Advisors: Julie Kientz & Daniela Rosner
- Research areas: Human-centered AI/ML; Responsible AI; Natual Language Processing (NLP) and Conversational User Interface Design, Generative AI and Large Language Models (LLMs); Public Interest Technology
Jay Cunningham is computer scientist and scholar dedicated to promoting responsibility and fairness in artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) systems, data science, and human-computer interaction (HCI). He innovates on technology design through human-centered approaches of inclusive design, algorithmic & design justice, and technology public policy. Cunningham’s work spans critical computing and technology practices, specifically focusing on advancing responsible design to foster more equitable automated speech recognition and language technology experiences for Black/ African American English speakers.
- Dissertation topic: Community-based System Design of Conversational User Interfaces Inclusive of African American Language and Culture
- Employment preference: Industry/Institute Research Scientist; AI Innovation and Startup Post-Doc; Technology and Research Policy Associate; High Tech Consulting; Academic Assistant Professor/Research Scientist
- Advisor: Julie Kientz
- Research areas: Health equity, mobile health, health monitoring and tracking, cultural relevance, marginalized communities
- Dissertation topic: Improving the Cultural Relevance of Mobile Health Technologies
- Employment preference: Industry - Qualitative UX Researcher and Research Scientist
- Advisor: Leah Findlater
- Research areas: HCI Accessibility
- Dissertation topic: Toward a Collective Access Approach to Captioning Technology Design
- Employment preference: I'd like to stay in academia and am looking for tenure track positions where I'd be able to advise PhD students focused on accessibility and technology.
HCDE PhD students and postdocs interested in adding your information to this webpage, please submit your information here: