Travel Resources

The goal of this page is to guide department travelers through the travel process while adhering to the travel policies set forth by the University of Washington and HCDE. Department staff are here to assist, but it is the traveler's responsibility to fully understand the rules and regulations. Failure to comply may result in not getting reimbursed.

In order for HCDE's administrative staff to process travel reimbursement expeditiously, travelers are required to fill out the HCDE Travel Authorization / Reimbursement Request Form.

Student Travelers should start by reading the info for HCDE Student Travelers, and the HCDE Student Travel Policy.

How to get there: Transportation Modes


Alaska Airlines currently is the State Contract Air Carrier that provides a base level price. You must use a State Contract Carrier unless your flight meets one of the following exceptions:

  1. You find a cheaper flight.
  2. The contract airline does not have a flight that meets your needs.
  3. There are no seats available on a particular flight.
  4. There is no contract airfare to the particular destination.

You will likely find a cheaper flight with a non-State Contract Carrier, but it is critical that you consult the base level price before you purchase your ticket. You risk not getting reimbursed for the full amount of your ticket if you do not meet one of these exceptions. Find contract airfare rates here.


You can be reimbursed for the actual cost of your train ticket if one of the following conditions are met:

  • You provide comparison airfare documentation and the train is cheaper
  • You have prior approval from the budget PI, Administrator, or Grants Coordinator
  • You have extenuating circumstances that do not permit you to travel via air

Please submit documentation with your reimbursement request prior to travel departure.

Car Rental

Check UW's travel website for details. Your name must appear as the primary driver on the Rental Car Agreement without exceptions.

Driving Your Own Car

Check UW's Travel website for the mileage rate.

Please contact HCDE's Fiscal Specialist if you have special transportation needs.

Paying for your Trip

(General info below, and additional details related to miscellaneous expenses on the UW's Travel website)

Per Diem Advance

You may receive travel money before your trip. The amount of the per diem advance is based off of federal meal and lodging rates (administrative staff will sort this for you). However, this option is only available to travelers who will be employed after the date they return from traveling.

Department pays for expenses before you travel

HCDE can pay your airfare, hotel registration, and other miscellaneous expenses before your trip. See department Fiscal Specialist for more information.

Reimbursed after you return

You may pay for your expenses and submit receipts to the department Fiscal Specialist upon your return. We can process an Expense Report (ER) for reimbursement. Any item over $75.00 will require receipts; please save all the receipts, except for daily food receipts which are reimbursed at a federal per diem rate (domestic or foreign) that varies depending on what city/county/country you are traveling to. Please contact Christie Keifer or Allen Lee if you have questions about this. For lodging, you will need to provide the hotel folio.

Please note that we can pay for your trip with a variety of approaches.