Current Students

HCDE PhD Student Conference Travel Assistance

Policy approved January 2015; updated November 2018.

The HCDE Student Conference Travel Support program is intended to provide opportunities for HCDE PhD students to become familiar with, and participate in the life of, their academic field.


All PhD students who meet the following requirements can receive up to $1000 of HCDE Conference Travel Support per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) based on the start date of the conference.

  1. the student is in good academic standing in HCDE (not on probation),
  2. the student is in their first six years of enrollment in the program,
  3. the student must have the support of their faculty advisor or the PhD Chair to attend the particular conference,
  4. all conference travel and reimbursement will be completed while still enrolled in the HCDE program,
  5. the student has not received their maximum amount of HCDE Student Conference Travel Assistance in the current fiscal year (July 1 through June 30), and
  6. the student has submitted all Conference Experience Reports from prior conference travel.

The remainder of this document contains information on how to make requests and stipulations for the awarding of funds. Currently, HCDE Masters and Bachelors students are not supported by this program.

Timing and Procedure

To request travel support, please do the following:

  1. Complete the request form Student Travel Request Form as early as possible, but no later than the day before travel is initiated. If form is submitted one full month prior to travel, extra funding may be available (see paragraph 3).
  2. Email the Student Travel Request Form to Stacia Green, Assistant to the Chair, copying the advisor or the doctoral program advisor, who will then reply to the email to confirm their support.
  3. If this form is received at least one month prior to the start of the conference and the conference attendance involves giving a presentation, HCDE can request an additional $300 (domestic) or $500 (international) from the graduate school on the student’s behalf.

Award Stipulations

This funding may be applied to a single conference or distributed across multiple conferences. Funding does not rollover from year to year. The faculty advisor or doctoral program director must be consulted and must provide an email agreeing to award the funding. Reimbursement requests should be sent to Allen Lee within 45 days of completion of travel. Reimbursement requests should include copies of receipts for travel, lodging, conference registration and any incidentals greater than $75. To request reimbursement, please use the Travel Reimbursement link. HCDE Student Conference Travel Assistance will be handled as reimbursement and does not provide travel advance.

Within two weeks after the conference, students who receive funding must submit a short, two–three paragraph Conference Experience Report describing their experience at the conference for the News section of the HCDE website to the Assistant to the Chair, Stacia Green. Photos from the conference would also be appreciated. Students who do not submit the write-up will not be eligible for further travel funding from the department.