Skip to main content

Current Students

Financial Resources

HCDE Scholarships

The Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering offers the following scholarships for current students thanks to the generosity of HCDE alumni and friends of the department:

  • David Farkas Endowed Fund for Undergraduate Student Support
  • Donna M. Sakson Endowed Scholarship
  • Donna M. Sakson Endowed Scholarship for Excellence through Diversity
  • Equity in Design Scholarship in Human Centered Design & Engineering
  • Michael and Sirina Berg Endowed Fund for Leadership

To apply for the above scholarships, submit a completed online application through the College of Engineering.


HCDE offers two fellowship opportunities annually to graduate students in the Department.

Neon Blackboard Term Fellowship in Human Centered Design & Engineering
The Neon Blackboard Term Fellowship in Human Centered Design & Engineering supports students with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. A call for applications is distributed annually in fall term to HCDE graduate students (master's and PhD).

Graduate Student Equity & Excellence (GSEE) Matching Funds
UW GSEE offers Graduate Tuition and Supplemental Awards to students nominated by their departments; award amounts vary depending on the nomination, student financial need, and funds available. HCDE is committed to fostering a supportive environment for students, faculty, and staff from underrepresented minoritized (URM) communities. The Department will select up to two incoming master's students to nominate for the GSEE Supplemental Award. If those students receive the GSEE award, they will also automatically receive departmental matching funds to a maximum of $12,500 per Fellowship. Decisions are made based on financial need, merit, and a supplemental statement from the student. Request to submit nominations are included in the application to the Master of Science in Human Centered Design & Engineering program. Emergency Aid Resources

UW Short Term Loan Program

  • View eligibility and repayment options at the link
  • To apply, go to MyUW and select “Short-Term Loan Application” from the list of Personal Services to complete the application and electronically sign the promissory note

UW Food Pantry and Food Security Grants

  • Resources for students experiencing food insecurity, including the UW Food Pantry and applying for WA Basic Food (SNAP) program
  • To receive a $100 Food Security grant, schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor

UW Emergency Aid Program

  • UW Emergency Aid assists students who are experiencing unexpected financial hardships that may disrupt their education or prevent them from earning their UW degree. To request emergency aid via your FAFSA form, fill out an emergency aid request

Kientz & Patel HCDE Student Emergency Support Fund

  • The Kientz & Patel HCDE Student Emergency Support Fund aids HCDE students facing near-term financial hardship. The fund provides aid for situations including, but not limited to, unexpected health care costs, car repairs, legal fees, travel for family emergencies, stolen goods, and housing insecurity. Students requiring tuition assistance should instead consult the UW Financial Aid office at