Mission, Facts, and Statistics
Putting people first, we research, design, and engineer interactions between humans and technology. Join us. Change the world.
Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) faculty and students are advancing the research and design of technologies by using innovative techniques to study human activity and develop meaningful information and sociotechnical systems.
HCDE is designing the future by:
- Considering the role of technology in human activity.
- Prioritizing the needs, desires, and behaviors of people and communities who interact through sociotechnical systems.
- Addressing the specifics of design by working with interdisciplinary communities of researchers to build the technologies of tomorrow.
The Bachelor of Science provides students with user research and design skills, coupled with a solid foundation in math and science.
The Master of Science fosters and advances students' knowledge and skills in the design and evaluation of information products, technologies, and user interfaces.
The Doctor of Philosophy provides unparalleled depth and experience for students interested in studying the conception, design, implementation, usability, and evaluation of technologies for specific audiences or user groups.
The User-Centered Design certificate program provides students with the opportunity to explore a wide range of issues in usability and user-centered design.
|Doctor of Philosophy enrollment||39|
|Diversity of Degree Recipients||BS||MS||PhD||UCD|
|Underrepresented ethnic and racial minorities*||14%||10%||1%||1%|
|* African American, Hispanic, American Indian, and Hawaiian/Pacific Islander|
Data reported Autumn 2018.
24 active core teaching and research faculty
12 adjunct faculty
15 affiliate faculty
Selected Faculty Honors
- Nine Career Awards from the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- One MIT Technology Innovator Under 35 Honor
- One Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Four Jay R. Gould Awards for Excellence in Teaching from the Society for Technical Communication
- Two Ronald S. Blicq Awards for Distinction in Technical Communication from the IEEE Professional Communication Society
- Two William Elgin Wickenden Awards from the American Society of Engineering Education
- Two Ken Rainey Awards for Excellence in Research from the Society for Technical Communication
Research Laboratories & Centers
Center for Collaborative Systems for Security, Safety, and Regional Resilience (CoSSaR)
Center for Engineering Learning & Teaching (CELT)
Communicative Practices in Virtual Workspaces Laboratory
Computer Supported Collaboration Laboratory (CSC Lab)
Computing for Healthy Living and Learning Laboratory (CHiLL Lab)
Emerging Capacities of Mass Participation Laboratory (emCOMP)
Human-Centered Data Science Laboratory (HDS Lab)
Internet-Based User Experience Laboratory (IBUXL)
Laboratory for Human-Centered Engineering Education (LHCEE)
Laboratory for Influence in SocioTechnical Systems (LISTS)
Prosocial Computing Laboratory
Tactile and Tactical Design Laboratory (TAT Lab)