Professor, Human Centered Design & Engineering
University of Washington
Sieg Building, Room 315
UW HCDE Box 352315, Seattle, WA 98195
PhD, Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1998
MS, Systems Engineering, The University of Virginia, 1990
BS, Systems Engineering, The University of Virginia, 1990
Design processes and strategies, Educational uses of information technology, Learner-centered design, Human-computer-interfaces, Engineering education, Educating reflective practitioners, and Technology adoption.
American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
American Education Research Association (AERA)
Honors and Awards:
- Toward Enhancing Engineering Design Education: Bringing Research Results into the Classroom, GE Fund Grant, with Cynthia J. Atman and Robin S. Adams, 2001.
- An engineering design expertise continuum: Filling it in and linking it to education practice, NSF ROLE Grant, with Cynthia J. Atman and Robin S. Adams, 2001-2004.
- National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Award, PFSMETE Program, 1998.
- Best Paper Award, Education, Research and Methods Division of American Society of Engineering Education, 1997.
- GVU Research Award, Graphics Visualization and Usability Center, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1997.
- ASEE Apprentice Faculty Grant Award, 1997.
- Departmental Grant to Explore Educational Technology in Industrial Engineering Classes at the Georgia Institute of Technology, 1997.
- President's Fellowship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1992-1996.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Student Fellowship, 1989.