Technical Resources and Software
HCDE students can find many free or low cost technical resources at the UW and online. Just a few resources are listed below to help get you started.
- UW Information Technology (UW-IT): Free courses, workshops, and online tutorials.
- UW-Learning and Scholarly Technologies: Free online courses on Computing Fundamentals (e.g, Security, Networking); Design and Graphics (e.g., Photoshop, Flash); Digital Audio (e.g., Audacity, Garageband); Document Creation (e.g., Word, InDesign); Spreadsheets and Databases (e.g., (Excel, Access); and Web Publishing (e.g,. Dreamweaver, PHP). Some in-person workshops.
- ACM—Association for Computing Machinery: With a student membership, over 500 free courses ranging from programming to Web design and development.
- Coursera: Free online college courses, including programming, statistics, HCI, design, gamification, etc.
- Khan Academy: Free online courses and videos on just about every topic.
- Lynda.com: With a paid subscription, a wide variety of courses from programming to video production. Seattle Public Library patrons with a valid library card may access Lynda courses for free. Details on the SPL website.
- Udacity.com: Free online technical courses.
Computer Labs on Campus
- Odegaard Learning Commons:The Odegaard Learning Commons, with hundreds of workstations, provides access to learning technologies in the heart of the undergraduate library.
- Media Studios on Campus in Odegaard and Mary Gates: The Media Studios serve as a boutique studio space for students working on media projects. Visit one of our Media Studios for access to special hardware and software geared toward video and audio editing.
Inexpensive or Free Software (and Student Discounted Software and Hardware)
- atlasti: Student discount on atlasti.
- Axure RP Pro: Free for Students.
- iOS Developer University Program: We have a limited number of seats available. This program allows you to develop iOS apps using Apple’s iOS SDK and test them on Apple hardware with some restrictions.
- Microsoft Imagine: All HCDE students currently enrolled in a class or faculty teaching a class have access to Imagine (formerly Dreamspark). Accounts will be automatically created for students on the Monday following the start of a quarter.
- Tableau: Free for Students.
- UW Bookstore Tech Center: Student discounts on hardware (e.g., computers and accessories) and software (e.g., Parallels, Adobe Creative Cloud).
- UWare: Software from UW at reduced cost or free (e.g., Microsoft, Apple, Sophos, SAS, SPSS).
- VMware Products: All HCDE students, staff, and faculty have access to VMware academic program, which provides licenses for VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion. Accounts will be automatically created for students on the Monday following the start of a quarter.