Technical Resources and Software
HCDE students can find many free or low cost technical resources at the UW and online. Just a few resources are listed below to help get you started.
- UW Information Technology (UW-IT): Free courses, workshops, and online tutorials.
- UW-Learning and Scholarly Technologies: Free online courses on Computing Fundamentals (e.g, Security, Networking); Design and Graphics (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator); Digital Audio (e.g., Audacity, Garageband); Document Creation (e.g., Word, InDesign); Spreadsheets and Databases (e.g., (Excel, Access); and Web Publishing. Some in-person workshops.
Computer Labs on Campus
- Odegaard Learning Commons: The Odegaard Learning Commons, with hundreds of workstations, provides access to learning technologies in the heart of the undergraduate library.
- Media Studios on Campus in Odegaard and Mary Gates: The Media Studios serve as a boutique studio space for students working on media projects. Visit one of our Media Studios for access to special hardware and software geared toward video and audio editing.
- Engineering Student Computer Lab The College of Engineering supports a computer lab located in the basement of Wilcox hall, room 73.
Inexpensive or Free Software (and Student Discounted Software and Hardware)
- ATLAS.ti: Students get a discount on ATLAS.ti.
- Axure RP Pro: Free for Students.
- Tableau: Free for Students.
- UW Bookstore Tech Center: Student discounts on hardware (e.g., computers and accessories) and software (e.g., Parallels, Adobe Creative Cloud).
- UWare: Software from UW at reduced cost or free (e.g., Microsoft, Apple, Sophos, SAS, SPSS).
- VMware Products: All HCDE students, staff, and faculty have access to VMware academic program, which provides licenses for VMware Workstation and VMware Fusion.