Professor, Human Centered Design & Engineering
University of Washington
Sieg Hall, Room 409
UW HCDE Box 352315, Seattle, WA 98195
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, December 1998
M.S., Systems Engineering, The University of Virginia, May 1990
B.S., Systems Engineering, The University of Virginia, May 1990
Design processes and strategies, Educational uses of information technology, Learner-centered design, Human-computer-interfaces, Engineering education, Educating reflective practitioners, and Technology adoption.
American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
American Education Research Association (AERA)
Honors and Awards:
- Toward Enhancing Engineering Design Education: Bringing Research Results into the Classroom, GE Fund Grant, with Cynthia J. Atman and Robin S. Adams, 2001.
- An engineering design expertise continuum: Filling it in and linking it to education practice, NSF ROLE Grant, with Cynthia J. Atman and Robin S. Adams, 2001-2004.
- National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Award, PFSMETE Program, 1998.
- Best Paper Award, Education, Research and Methods Division of American Society of Engineering Education, 1997.
- GVU Research Award, Graphics Visualization and Usability Center, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1997.
- ASEE Apprentice Faculty Grant Award, 1997.
- Departmental Grant to Explore Educational Technology in Industrial Engineering Classes at the Georgia Institute of Technology, 1997.
- President's Fellowship, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1992-1996.
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Student Fellowship, 1989.
HCDE News Archive