Judy Ramey, Professor
MA, University of Texas, 1971
Usability research method
- Society for Technical Communication
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction
- ACM Special Interest Group on Systems Documentation
- IEEE Professional Communication Society
- Usability Professionals Association
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writers
- Council of Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication
- Diana Award to the UWTC Laboratory for Usability Testing and Evaluation (LUTE), 2007, ACM SIGDOC, accepted by J. Ramey, founder and director
- Adjunct Professor, Industrial Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Washington, 1999-present
- Jay R. Gould Award 2000, given by the Executive Board of the Society for Technical Communication. The highest honor bestowed by STC in recognition of teaching excellence in the field. Elected STC Fellow, 1998
- Chair, Department of Technical Communication, College of Engineering, University of Washington, July 1997
- Best Collection of Articles Award, 1990, National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), for my December 1989 guest issue of the IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication on usability testing.
- Fellows' Award, Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW), for Best Article Published in 1986 in the Technical Writing Teacher, for my two-article series "Building a Theoretical Base for On-Line Documentation," Spring and Fall 1986.
- Chapter Achievement Award (Professional Chapters) for 1982, presented to me as president of the Austin, TX chapter of the Society for Technical Communication for "outstanding contributions to technical communications in the computer industry."
Guan, Zhiwei, Shirley Lee, Elisabeth Cuddihy, Judith Ramey, 'The Validity of the Stimulated Retrospective Think-Aloud Method as Measured by Eye Tracking,' technical paper, CHI '06 (the annual conference of the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction), Montreal, Canada, April 2006.
Turns, Jennifer, and Judith Ramey, 'Directed Research Groups,' 2005 International Professional Communication Conference, July 10-13, 2005, Limerick, Ireland.
Chin, Crystal, Elisabeth Cuddihy, Mary Deaton, Rich DeSantis, Eleanor Garner, Jana Jones, Cory King, Steve Lappenbusch, Shirley Lee, Sandra Maddox, Manal Mohanna, Quan Zhou, and Judy Ramey, "Eye Tracking in Usability Testing: What Questions Can It Help You Answer?," Proceedings, Usability Professionals' Association 13th Annual Conference, June 7-11, 2004. Usability Professionals' Association (upassoc.org), Bloomingdale, IL: 2004. 4 pp. (no page numbering; published on CD). Chin et al. (2004).
Eliot, Matthew, Tristan Robinson, MS, Robin Mayberry, MLIS, Judy Ramey, PhD, Brent Stewart, PhD, "Rolling Assessment: Observing On-Going User Responses To A Next Generation Internet Telemedicine Application Through Successive Stages Of Development," Society for Technical Communication 2002 Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, May 2002. Arlington, VA: Society for Technical Communication, pp. 281-285
Ruthford, Marcia, and Judith Ramey, 'The Impact of Usability Test Results on Product Design: A Case Study Based on Artifacts and Interviews,' Proceedings of the ACM SIGDOC Conference, October 24-27, 2000, Boston, MA.
Jong, Menno de, and Judith Ramey, Introduction: New Perspectives on Document Evaluation Methods, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, special issue on usability research methods, September 2000. pp. 237-241.
*Boren, Ted, and Judith Ramey, "Thinking Aloud: Reconciling Theory and Practice," IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, special issue on usability research methods, September 2000, Ramey and de Jong, guest editors. pp. 261-278.
Ramey, Judith, "Web Data Collection for Analyzing and Interacting with Your Users," Technical Communication, 3rd Quarter (August) 2000. One of seven articles making up a special issue on building a communication model for web design. pp. 397-410.
Ramey, Judith, "Learning through Design in Technical Communication," STC Conference 1998. Proceedings of the 45th Annual Conference, STC, May 1998,pp. 60-62.