HCDE Graduate Student Association
The HCDE Graduate Student Association (GSA) is a registered student organization founded and operated by HCDE graduate students. The GSA's mission is to support learning, socializing, volunteering, and career-path opportunities for HCDE graduate students, and engage with the student body.
- Foster community in the HCDE program
- Act as a voice for graduate students in HCDE
- Organize skill shares, happy hours, UX for dubbies, social events, and more
- Make lasting connections with UW colleagues
- Learn from and work with industry leaders in UX
- Add value back to the HCDE department
- UX for dubbies (workshops to increase UX skills for dub programs, in conjunction with iSchool and MHCI+d grad programs)
- Happy Hours/Meetups
- Skill shares
- HCDE Department events, such as a Welcome BBQ and Winter Celebration (in conjunction with undergraduate student association)
- Social outings like Husky games, hikes, etc.
Every graduate student can be involved in the GSA, not just designated officers. The GSA mission is involvement, so please email the HCDE GSA at email@example.com with ideas for activities.
President: Honson Ling
- Duties: Point person for communication for students, faculty, and department administrators. Oversees and facilitates meetings. Sets vision and priorities for the GSA. Liaison to the HCDESA (Undergraduate Student Association).
Vice President: Ethel Xu
- Duties: Assists and coordinates volunteer, recruitment, and social events. Responsible for communicating with the department and discussing any concerns or ideas from community members. Takes proactive steps to increase and develop HCDE representation and awareness on and off campus. Maintains relationship with RSO.
Treasurer: Taylor Honda
- Duties: Responsible for keeping records of financial transactions, coordinating with the department regarding funding, and ensuring that HCDE GSA events can be funded. Tracks RSO resources and submits funding requests. Manages the bank account and takes lead of fundraising and funding. Help maintain GSA online accounts.
Community Relations Officer: Patriya Wiesmann
- Duties: The main point of contact with people outside of GSA and HCDE, and maintain relationships that GSA has already built. Build new relationships with professionals in the UX field. Coordinate marketing efforts for GSA events, including maintaining email lists, social media accounts, and print advertising.
International Student Representatives: Xuan Karen Song
- Duties: representing and advocating for the international student body for GSA. Talk to people from different cultures and see how GSA can better serve our international students. Get more international students involved in GSA and help them get connected to the broader UX community in Seattle.
PhD Committee: Jay Cunningham, Neilly Tan, Susanne Kirchner
- Duties: Connects HCDE Master's students with HCDE PhD students. Identifies relevant areas of collaboration between the entire HCDE graduate student body.
MS Curriculum Student Representative: Shelby Zink
- Duties: representing HCDE Master's students on the HCDE MS Curriculum Committee.