New Hire Information & IDs

Contact Fiscal Specialist Allen Lee with questions about content on this page.


Accounts at the University of Washington are identified by a UW NetID. Your UW NetID (and its password) is how you access most UW online resources including UW email, myUW, class lists, and library resources. Everyone at the UW has a personal UW NetID that is intended for their individual use only. 

Note: You need to already have your UW employee number before setting up your UW NetID.

How do I get a UW email account?

You create your UW email account at the same time that you set up your UW NetID. The process gives you several options to set up access to your email account.

What is myUW?

MyUW is a portal to the University of Washington accessed by your UW NetID. For more information see: myUW FAQs and myUW (you will need your UW NetID to log in).

How do I get a Husky Card?

The Husky Card is the official identification card for members of the UW community and is available to students, faculty, and permanent staff.

To qualify for a Husky Card, your position must be either a faculty appointment or classified as permanent (working at least 50 percent full-time equivalency). Guest lecturers are not eligible for a Husky Card. For more details, please see Employee Husky Card.

The Husky Card can be used for payment for things such as food, copies, etc. at a number of places on campus.

What benefits are included with the Husky Card?

The following facilities are available to faculty at various appointment levels. Please double-check the Husky Card website to verify that you have access to these benefits; policies change frequently. (The IMA and library are available to graduate teaching assistants.)

The Faculty Housing Office

Volunteers at the Faculty Housing Office help new and visiting faculty find short-term and long-term housing in the University District of Seattle.

The Washington State Employees Credit Union

The Washington State Employees Credit Union (WSECU) is a nonprofit financial co-operative that UW employees are invited to join.

Intramural Activities Center (IMA)

All faculty and staff are eligible to join and use the Intramural Activities Center during their time of employment. Membership information, fees, and hours of operation is available on the IMA website. A Husky Card is required to join and use this facility.

Library Privileges at the University

All faculty members are eligible to borrow from UW's library system. A Faculty ID Card doubles as a library card. Please visit their website for more information.


If you have a U-PASS (full-time faculty & staff) or TEMP Pass (part time & hourly employees), there are a number of benefits:

TEMP Pass holders (formerly the FlexPass, for hourly and part-time employees):

  • Have access to all of the benefits above, except participation in the PPUP program and gatehouse-issued, occasional carpooling.
  • The TEMP Pass Eligibility Form is no longer necessary for employees who have active status in the HEPPS payroll database.

For more information about the U-Pass, please visit the Commuter Services website. To register for a U-Pass, please fill out this form.