Graduate Non-Matriculated Enrollment
The Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) potentially allows prospective students and community members who are not yet admitted to the UW to take a single graduate course in our program on a space-available basis and with instructor permission. Not all courses are open for single course enrollment. Space is extremely limited but you may register as a Graduate Non-Matriculated student with departmental approval.
Graduate Non-Matriculated (GNM) status provides access to graduate HCDE courses for those who are not currently seeking a graduate degree but who may later want to apply these credits (up to 12) toward our graduate program. A bachelor's degree and 3.0 GPA in your last 90 quarter (60 semester) hours is required to apply for GNM status.
The application for graduate non-matriculated status is available online.
How to submit a GNM application
- Log on to create an account
- Select HCDE from the list of graduate programs: Human Centered Design & Engineering—Professional (MS in HCDE)
- Complete and submit the on-line application form (you will be able to save a PDF copy of your GNM application)
- Email the Academic Services Manager the PDF copy of your GNM application with a set of unofficial academic transcripts (PDF format) from your degree granting institution. In that email, you should indicate which course(s) you are interested in and why.
- HCDE will make decisions about GNM applicants close to the start of the quarter for which you applied.
HCDE will email all approved GNM applicants their approval and mail the registration forms with signatures. Applicants who do not email the required materials will not be considered for GNM status. Acceptance as a GNM student confers no guarantee or priority for later admission to the Graduate School for pursuit of a degree program.
Once you have GNM status, you do not have to re-apply for it every quarter, unless you take a break from classes. If you have a MyUW account, you can see your status by clicking on "Unofficial Transcripts" under the Student tab. Your status will be noted at the top of your transcripts. In order to continue in the GNM program, you must maintain the standard minimum Graduate School cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
If you have questions, please contact the HCDE Department.
The deadlines for GNM applications are:
Autumn Quarter: September 1
Winter Quarter: December 1
Spring Quarter: March 1
Summer Quarter: May 15