Graduate Non-Matriculated Enrollment
Note for SUMMER & AUTUMN QUARTERS 2014:
On rare occasions, the Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) allows prospective students and community members who are not yet admitted to the UW to take a single graduate course in our program on a space-available basis with departmental approval AND instructor permission. Not all courses are open for single course enrollment and space is extremely limited.
GNM status allows students who are not currently enrolled in a graduate program to take graduate level HCDE courses and "bank" the credits (up to 12) in the chance the student later wants to apply them toward our graduate degree. A bachelor's degree and 3.0 GPA in your last 90 quarter (60 semester) hours is required to apply for GNM status.
How to submit a GNM application
- Log on to create an account before the deadline noted below
- Select HCDE from the list of graduate programs: Human Centered Design & Engineering—Professional (MS in HCDE)
- Complete and submit the on-line application form (you will be able to save a PDF copy of your GNM application)
- Email the Academic Services Manager the PDF copy of your GNM application with a set of unofficial academic transcripts (PDF format) from your degree-granting institution. In that email, indicate which course(s) you are interested in and why.
- HCDE will make decisions about GNM applicants close to the start of the quarter for which you applied.
HCDE will email all approved GNM applicants their approval and email the necessary registration forms. Applicants who do not initially submit the required materials to the Academic Services Manger cannot be considered for GNM status.
Acceptance as a GNM student confers no guarantee or priority for future official admission to the Graduate School within a degree program.
Once you have GNM status, you do not have to re-apply for it every quarter, unless taking a break from classes. If you have a MyUW account, you can see your status by clicking on "Unofficial Transcripts" under the Student tab. Your status will be noted at the top of your transcripts. In order to continue in the GNM program, you must maintain the standard minimum Graduate School cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
If you have questions, please contact the Academic Services Manager.
Autumn Quarter 2014 Deadline: September 1
Note: Capacity full; GNM applications not being accepted at this time.
(Instruction Dates: September 24-December 12)
Winter Quarter 2015 Deadline: December 1
(Instruction Dates: January 6-March 21)
Spring Quarter 2015 Deadline: March 1
(Instruction Dates: March 31-June 13)
Summer Quarter 2015 Deadline: June 1
(Instruction Dates: June 23-August 22)
|NOTE for SUMMER and AUTUMN QUARTERS 2014: