All students interested in pursuing the Technical Communication (TC) option within the BS in HCDE program should contact the academic advisor. Please review the BS in HCDE: TC course of study form.
The TC concentration provides students with practical applications and fundamental concepts in technical communication, including information design, software user-assistance, editing practices, and uses of software applications to solve communication problems.
Students complete the TC concentration based on the following requirements:
- Take HCDE 401* Style & Editing in Scientific and Technical Writing (5 credits)
- Take at least three of the TC elective courses listed below (12–15 credits)
- Take at least 7 to 10 additional approved elective credits.
Additional HCDE Courses
- HCDE 407 Software User Assistance (5)
- HCDE 412 Print Production (5)
- HCDE 496** Directed Research (minimum 3 cr)
- One of the following:
- HCDE 438 Web Tools (5)
- INFO 343 Web Technologies (5)
- INFO 444 Value Sensitive Design (5)
*HCDE 401 has a co-requisite of Linguistics 100 or English 371
**To use HCDE 496 credits towards the three additional HCDE courses section, the research must be approved by the directing faculty member as TC-oriented.